As a parent, you must know how to control the internet-related activities of your kids. So it’s necessary to have a good awareness of Google Chrome Parental Controls.
Here, we will explain how to set Parental Controls on Google Chrome and protect your kids.
Undoubtedly, Google is the most widely used search engine in the world. This search engine is used by almost 65% of internet users.
In other words, nearly 65% of internet users treat Google as their default search engine. Even the kids use Google for various search purposes ranging from academic purposes to entertainment.
Why Should We Know How to Set Parental Controls in Google Chrome?
However, in certain cases, some links can appear in search results, which are not expected by the kids. It may be due to a misspelled search phrase or any other reason.
Regardless of the reason, kids can end up viewing inappropriate content through search results. For instance, they can end up seeing content related to porn, adults, violence, gambling, drugs, etc.
As we already know, kids are super curious, and they tend to explore everything they come into contact with. The aforesaid content can make their young minds disturbed and force them to dig deep on such content.
Because of this, parents should be able to apply some filtration to their kids’ search engine activities. Luckily, being an exceptionally popular web browser, Google Chrome allows parents to have control over kids’ internet activities.
Different Methods of Configuring Google Parental Controls
There are different methods to use for those who want to configure Google Chrome Parental Controls. Mentioned below are those Google Parental Controls methods for your consideration.
Method 1: Google SafeSearch Feature
SafeSearch is a default option offered by Google to take control of your kids’ internet activities. With this option, you can filter content and display only the appropriate stuff for your kid.
This option is smart enough to filter websites, images, videos, and other stuff that are not suitable for kids. Specifically, this option can filter pornographic and violent content.
In fact, SafeSearch can be applied to your computer as well as on mobile devices like smartphones. Mentioned below is the guide you should follow to set up the Google SafeSearch feature based on the device.
If You Are Using a Computer
You can configure Chrome’s parental control through the Search settings page. If you are using a computer (desktop or a laptop), you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all, you should launch the web browser on your computer and visit Google. Then, you should visit the settings page on Google search.
- Then, please click on the option called ‘Turn on SafeSearch.’ This is appearing in the form of a checkbox under the section of ‘SafeSearch.’ You will find it very easily because this option is located at the top of the list.
- To finish the process, you should scroll toward the bottom of the page. Then, click on the option called ‘Save’ so the applies ‘SafeSearch‘ settings will be saved.
If You Are Using a Mobile Device
When it comes to mobile devices (such as smartphones and tablets), you can do the configuration in two ways. You can either do it through the Google app or through the web browser itself. This can be done on both Android as well as on iOS devices without any issue.
The steps you should follow to set Google Parental Controls through the website on mobile are similar to the previous process. That means you should do it through the ‘Search Settings’ page even if you are on a mobile device.
So, we don’t need to explain it once again (you can repeat the above steps on your mobile device). However, to do it through the Google app on your mobile device, you should follow a different set of steps.
Mentioned Below Are Those Options.
- First of all, you should launch the Google app on your mobile device, be it an Android or iPhone.
- For Android devices, you should go to the option called ‘More.’ Then, go to the option called ‘Settings.’ Then, tap on the option labeled ‘General‘ and switch on the option labeled ‘SafeSearch.’
- If you are using an iOS device, go to the ‘Settings‘ option and tap on ‘Search Settings.’ Then, you should go to ‘SafeSearch Filters.’ After that, you should tap on ‘Filter Explicit Results.’ To finish the process and save the settings, you should simply tap on ‘Save.’
As we have noticed, with the ‘Google SafeSearch‘ option, you will be able to block much of the inappropriate stuff. However, we should also emphasize the fact that it is not a 100% perfect way to avoid inappropriate content.
In other words, just because you have enabled the ‘SafeSearch‘ feature, you cannot expect 100% filtration of explicit content. The truth is that it will cut down some of the explicit content, but not everything. So, as we believe, there should be additional measures to be taken if you expect strict control.
Method 2: How to Set Parental Controls in Google Chrome via Family Link
As you have already realized, ‘SafeSearch‘ is not the best way to prevent your kids from viewing inappropriate content. However, using some advanced steps, you will be able to make the controls stricter.
Thankfully, Google itself offers you the option called ‘Google Family Link.’ With this option, you will be able to manage the browsing activities of your beloved kid.
In addition to that, it allows changing the app permissions, knowing their real-time location, managing screen time, etc. Also, you can use it to manage their Google account and apps used on the devices. Having considered all those aspects, ‘Google Family Link’ is a better option compared to ‘SafeSearch.’
Steps You Should Follow in Order to Use ‘Google Family Link’
- As the first step, you should launch the app called ‘Family Link‘ on the mobile device.
- Then, you should choose the child’s account within the app and tap on the option called ‘Settings.’
- After that, you should tap on the option labeled ‘Manage Settings.’ Then, you should go to ‘Filters‘ on Google Chrome. Pick the settings that are appropriate for you. It comes with options like ‘Allow all sites,’ ‘try to block mature sites‘ and ‘only allow certain websites.’ Choose the best option that matches your intention.
- You can then tap on the option called ‘Manage Sites.’ This option will allow you to add websites manually so you can either block or allow them. This becomes very handy, especially if you want to block a particular website or websites.
The Drawbacks of This Method
This method has some drawbacks as well. Listed below are those drawbacks so you can get a better idea about them.
- Many countries today have minimum age criteria to use Google services. As a result, children are required to have the consent of their parents before using Google-related services. Also, they should agree to supervise the respective Google account.
- The Family Link app doesn’t work for iOS devices such as iPads and iPhones.
- This feature is not available for all the countries (some countries don’t allow this feature).
- The restrictions you apply will work only of the child is using Google Chrome.
What is the Best Parental Control App to Protect Your Kids from Internet-based Threats?
According to the studies we have done, both SafeSearch and Family Link have some significant drawbacks. That means those options cannot deliver the best protection you expect, and your kids can still be victims.
Your kids will still access explicit content such as porn, violence, and gambling-related stuff. This is particularly true if your kid wants to view such content instead of viewing them accidentally. That is exactly why you require an advanced method to keep your kids’ activities under watch.
In other words, you need a way to track the browsing history and other internet-based activities of your kid. So, we recommend such parents use parental control apps.
As long as you use a good parental control app, you can make sure that your kids are protected. Apart from keeping them away from inappropriate content, such an app can protect them from various other threats.
OK. Now, the next challenge is to find a good parental control app instead of Google Parental Controls. It is true that there is no shortage of parental control apps in the market. However, not all those apps work as they promise. So, to make things easier for you, we have done some good research on your behalf.
We ended up finding a very special tool called KidsGuard Pro as a superb alternative to Google Parental Controls. This is a superb parental control that can track everything performed through your kid’s smartphone.
For instance, this software allows you to monitor app usage, call logs, WhatsApp, calendar, contacts, browsing history, etc. Also, it can track the real-time location of the respective device, so you know the whereabouts of your child.
Features of KidsGuard Pro
Now, let’s take a look at the most notable features associated with KidsGuard Pro.
- It is capable of tracking the real-time location of the device and see its location history.
- You can use this Best Parental Control App to check all the incoming and outgoing calls.
- It can monitor inbound and outbound SMS of the target device.
- Be capable of monitoring app-based activities and gives you a good insight into the user.
- It can remotely access the apps and files on the target device without much trouble.
- The powerful keylogger feature tracks down all the keystrokes typed (including passwords and PIN numbers).
Although Google Chrome Parental Controls are enough to provide basic control, advanced protection is required for most kids. Such protection can be given through a dedicated app like KidsGuard Pro.