How to Repair ‘iPhone Messages Out of Order’ Error With Ease?
If you notice your iPhone messages out of order or iPhone stuck on verifying update, it can be a pretty frustrating experience. The messages you receive will appear in a disorderly manner. iMessage (the Apple’s official messaging service) lets you message quicker and free between Mac devices and iOS devices. Regardless of the stability and the reliability of this service, iMessage can go disarray occasionally, at the least. There is no shortage of users who report messed up conversation threads in their devices. Such instance can be annoying and confusing for any iPhone user. If you experience iPhone messages out of order, don’t worry though. With this article, we explain what to do under such circumstance.
Have you performed an update on your iOS device recently?
A considerable number of individuals experience some issues about iMessages after updating their devices into the newer iOS version. If you experience the same type of issue, you should follow the methods mentioned below and fix it.
01. Restart the device
The simplest way to fix many of the common iOS issues is to perform a restart. However, please note that these fixes are temporary when it comes to “iPhone messages out of order” issue. That means, the order of the iMessages can go wrong once again after a while. However, you can still consider restarting as a consolation method at the least.
Here’s how to perform a restart depending on the model of the device you use.
If you are using an iPhone 8 or earlier
- Press the power button and hold it until you see the red button labeled “slide to power off”. The power button is known as the Sleep/Wake button too.
- Then, swipe the power icon towards the right side, and that will make your device shut down.
- Wait for a while (for a couple of seconds) and press and hold the power button once again.
- When you see the Apple logo, release the power button.
If you are using an iPhone X, XS (Max) or XR
- Press the side button and any of the volume buttons simultaneously and hold them
- As you see the power slider on the screen, swipe it to towards the right
- Once the iPhone is switched off, make sure that you wait for about 15 seconds
- Press and the side button once again and hold it to turn the iPhone on
And, that is how to restart your iOS device.
02. Turn off iMessage and turn it on
Another quick method to fix disorderly iPhone messages is turning off and turning on your iMessages. It is more of restarting the iMessage app instead of the iPhone. This action will give your iPhone a restart. Here’s how to do it.
- Go to the Settings app and select the option “Messages”
- There is a switch like an icon next to iMessage; tap it!
- The switch will then be positioned towards the left (it is turned off now)
- Before the iMessage app is turned on, you should restart the iOS device too (you already know the steps).
- Once the phone is restarted, you should go to the “Settings” app and select messages. Then, make sure that you turn on iMessage’s switch. The switch will then turn into green.
If the trouble is a minor one, it must be fixed by now.
03. Perform an update on your iPhone
Have you noticed that the “iPhone Message out of order” issue occurred due to new software update? If so, it is smart for you to give it another update and see if the problem is resolved. If you have had an older version and updated it to a newer version, there can be some issues. A release like iOS 11.2.5, in particular, affected the functionality of the iMessage. So, it is worth giving a try with another update to fix the potential issue. For, instance, if you still run on iOS 11.2.5 and you experience some issues with messages, try iOS 12. Updating into the new iOS device can solve the issue in most of the cases. Likewise, it is always better to keep checking for potential software updates that might occur.
To update the iOS, you should follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Settings on your iOS device and tap on General. Then, select Software Update.
- If you can notice a software update, you may download and install the same.
Turn off and on the option “Set Automatically” under Date & Time
Some users have found this simple trick to be useful when fixing the iMessage issue. We hope that it doesn’t hurt to try this option and see if your messages work. Follow the instructions mentioned below to fix this issue.
- As the first step, you should go to the “Settings” app and go to “General”.
- Tap on “Date & Time” option and turn off the switch just next to “Set Automatically”.
- When the switch is positioned towards the left, you know it is switched off.
- Open the App switcher now and close “Message” app. If you use an older version of iPhone (iPhone 8 or older), double tap the Home button. Then, swipe “Messages” app to clear it.
- If you use an iPhone X, swipe up from the bottom towards the center of the display. That will open app switcher.
- Press and hold “Messages” app’s preview, and you will then notice a red color minus button. This is located towards the top left-hand side of the preview screen.
- After that, tap on the “Red Minus” button to exit the Messages app.
- Then, you should open the Messages app once again. At this time, you will notice that the iMessage app works fine.
- Go to the Settings and tap on General. Then, go to Date & Time to turn on “Set Automatically” option.
Reset the configurations of the iPhone
Another option you can try to overcome “iPhone messages out of order” issue is resetting the configurations. That means you should try resetting the whole phone’s settings and see if Messages work properly.
In fact, a reset can help you overcome a variety of glitches associated with your iPhone. Once the restoration is done, your phone will get back to its original configurations. That means the configurations will go back to factory defaults. For instance, you’ll have to provide the passwords of your Wi-Fi connections, pair the device with Bluetooth devices, etc. Also, you will have to re-enter the credit card information on Apple Pay.
Apart from fixing “iPhone messages out of order” issue, a factory reset can fix many other glitches. Now you know the consequences of resetting an iPhone into its default settings, let’s see how to do it.
- Go to the Settings app and hit General.
- Go to Reset and tap on Reset All Settings.
- Now, you will have to enter the iPhone passcode and Restrictions passcode as well.
- When prompted, please confirm what you are about to do (simply tap on Reset All Settings)
- At the completion of the reset, you will notice that the device gets restarted.
Well, this method should fix the “iPhone messages out of order” issue if none of the other methods work. However, there is one major disadvantage associated with this process. That is to say, the files you have stored on your device will be deleted upon a factory reset. For instance, your photos, contacts, call history, SMS and app data will be deleted as a result of reset. In this case, you will have to back up all the data to a computer before performing a reset.
Also, as a responsible iPhone user, you will have to create regular backups of your iPhone data. If you have created a backup of the most recent data, you don’t have to worry about resetting. All you have to do is to reset the iPhone into its factory settings and restore the backup.
After a factory reset, everything but the factory software will be erased. The original iOS version remains on the iPhone. That is because the iPhone requires the operating system to do its basic functions at the least. If the iOS is too removed from the iPhone, it will not be able to switch on. Although the default apps like calendar, phone, camera, etc. will remain with the iOS, app data will be deleted. For instance, the camera app will not have any photos or configuration settings in it. On the other hand, the calendar will be reset to the original version, and it will not have any appointments.
Well, that’s our article about resolving “iPhone messages out of order” issue. We hope any of the above methods will help you overcome the Messages-related issue and use your phone smoothly. If not, here are other solutions on iPhone text messages out of order.