For years the most popular photo formats have been JPEG and PNG. Photographers prefer PNG due to the high quality of photos they can take, and tech geeks will prefer JPEG as a result of the smaller file size. However, there are often times when you’ll need to convert from JPEG to PNG or maybe vice versa.
Whatever your reasons are for this won’t matter. There are various solutions available and, in this article, we’ll be showing you how to convert JPEG images to PNG format instead.
Your first thought might be to use an online converter. This isn’t a problem, and there are plenty of online converters to choose from too! Note that there are a few downsides to online solutions, mainly that they aren’t capable of offline usage. Nonetheless, follow these steps to convert your images to PNG.
Step #1 – Go to the Zamwar converter website using an internet browser.
Step #2 – Click on the “Choose Files” button and use the window that appears to find your JPG images. You can select multiple images at once either by highlighting them or holding CTRL then clicking on each of them.
Step #3 – Press the “Open” button to upload the chosen images. Note that a maximum of 10 images will convert at once and your upload can be 50MB maximum.
Step #4 – Next to the words “Choose the format to convert to”, choose “PNG” then click “Convert”.
Step #5 – After submitting your images, the website will convert them, and the output will be sent to your email account soon.
Although there’s the added step of this converter sending the images to your email, it’s effective. As we said before, there are a few downsides of online solutions, but if you can power through them, it’ll do the job for you.
Perhaps you’re a fan of Adobe Photoshop – a cornerstone in photo editing technology. Even though this program is meant for editing your photos and perfecting the details, it can convert them too.
Step #1 – Open the Adobe Photoshop program and wait for it to load.
Step #2 – Drag the image you wish to convert onto the blank canvas.
Step #3 – On the sidebar and on the “Layers” panel, double-click on the image’s icon to unlock it. If you want to edit the image before converting, then you can do so now.
Step #4 – At the top-left of the program click on “File > Save As”.
Step #5 – Select the PNG format and choose somewhere to save it to.
Of course, Photoshop is an expensive piece of software, and nobody will purchase it simply for converting JPEG to PNG. But, if you have access to it, give it a shot.
For those readers who have a Mac computer, you might not want to go as far as using Photoshop. It’s a professional and reliable tool, but it may be harder to use if you’re unfamiliar with it. Thus, you can instead try the built-in Preview app. All Mac’s come with this program already on it, so you can start straight away.
Step #1 – Open the Preview application and drag the JPEG file onto the app’s window.
Step #2 – Click on the “File” menu and then select “Export”.
Note: if you don’t want to overwrite the existing image, click on “File” and then “Duplicate. This stores a backup of the JPEG image in case you require it later on.
Step #3 – Click the drop-down menu next to “Format” and choose “PNG” from the list.
Step #4 – When you’re satisfied and ready to continue, click “Save” and choose somewhere to save the new PNG file.
As you can see, Preview has this neat and simple feature that can you can use for converting photos. When you convert your images, you’ll also see there are other formats you can choose from. GIF, PDF, TGA, TIFF, and even Photoshop.
Which is Better: JPEG or PNG?
Now that you’re aware of how to convert your photos to PNG format from JPEG, you can start doing it straight away. But wait – you might now be asking yourself if this is the right decision. Maybe the photos should stay in PNG and is there actually a difference between JPEG to PNG? The answer is yes – there are various differences.
- Image Quality. If you want your photos to be crystal clear and you don’t care about the file size, PNG is the better choice. JPEG files use a lossy compression method resulting in a lower quality image. In comparison, PNG uses lossless compression which helps to capture every detail.
- Photo File Sizes. Some cases, such as increasing a website’s page load speed, require low image sizes. Unless you’re a photographer, then you likely won’t see a huge difference between an image saved in JPEG, and it was in PNG format. So, if you want to save storage space, JPEG is the format to stick with.
- Transparency. Not many people are aware of this, but JPEG images don’t support transparency. PNG files, on the other hand, do support transparency. This means that if you save a JPEG photo with a transparent background, you’ll open the file and it will have a white background anyway. Graphics editors find that PNG images are better in this aspect. However, if you save as PNG for editing purposes, you might end up saving the final project as JPEG format anyway.
So, to answer the question “which is better?”, It depends on the circumstances. JPEG is better for storage whereas PNG is better for quality. There are a lot of differences between the two formats, but those are the ones that it’ll come down to.
iPhone users will be aware that HEIC format is now Apple’s default image format. As such, you might need to know how you convert from HEIC to either JPEG or PNG. With the help of Aiseesoft HEIC Converter, it’s possible to do this. What you’ll get with this program is:
- Adjust the quality of your images to decrease their file size after converting them
- This RAW to JPEG converter can convert HEIC to JPEG or HEIC to PNG, also convert to JPEG from any other files; Convert multiple images at once;
- Free to use and fast at converting photos
- Supports converting from HEIC format to both JPEG and PNG
- Very easy to use, making it a user-friendly solution
- Available on Windows and Mac computers
We can’t disagree with Apple’s decision to use HEIC photos instead of PNG. After all, any iPhone user will tell you that their storage is always full. However, this format is only used by iPhones at the moment, so it’s often necessary to convert your images accordingly. If you find yourself in need of converting from HEIC to JPEG to PNG, there are methods available.
“How Do I Use Aiseesoft HEIC Converter?”
We could give you the steps, but there’s no need! Aiseesoft HEIC Converter is incredibly easy to use. Simply drag and drop your image, change the conversion settings if you want to, and click “Convert”.
That’s it – seriously, there’s nothing else to it! In less than 30 seconds you can convert your image and move on with your day.
You might read this guide and decide that you don’t need a JPEG to PNG image because you are trying to preserve storage. That’s completely fine but remember these solutions for the future. If you ever choose to take some photos and you need them to be high quality, converting them to PNG is a great move to make.
You should also keep in mind that HEIC images are convertible too. With the latest iPhones using this new image format, converting HEIC images to JPEG or PNG is becoming very common. If you ever find yourself searching for a converter to do the job, then Aiseesoft HEIC Converter is the perfect tool to use.