Spying capabilities are always advancing. From secret listening devices to hidden cameras, spying is now something that literally anyone can start doing. It takes no effort and isn’t too expensive either – this leads us onto the main topic, the smoke detector camera. This new type of device offers a discreet way of spying on someone and is even a great way to improve your home security.
In case you’re wondering, yes there are many other types of hidden cameras. You can get pens with tiny cameras built into them, photo frames, and teddy bears which act as “nanny cams”. However, if there’s one place that nobody would ever suspect a spy camera to be, it’s a smoke detector.
So, if you’re looking to grab yourself one of these innovative devices, here’s what you need to know.
Like with any piece of technology, if you haven’t bought one of these before, then you likely won’t know what to look out for. Here are some of the main factors that you’ll want to consider.
Instead of constantly recording and unnecessarily filling up storage, a motion detector means that the smoke detector camera only records when someone enters the room. As well as the storage benefits this also minimizes the power usage of the device.
Battery Power or Hard Wire
One problem with regular smoke detectors is that the battery can die without any warning. A similar issue arises with this spying device. Batteries do a fine job but if you don’t want to have to check if the batteries have died frequently then consider the hard-wiring option instead.
You might expect that nowadays all cameras, whether standalone or built into something else, are all recording at 1080p or 720p. However, that’s not always the case, and some lesser-known brands are still at 480p. The higher the quality, the better your recordings will be.
Night vision functionality is always great to have and is essential for recording at night. Consider this an “additional feature” when you’re looking to buy a smoke detector camera. It’s not something they all come with, but depending on the location you’ll be installing the camera, you might decide that it’s necessary.
Of course, you have to make sure the camera’s price is within your budget. Not only that but you have to make sure you aren’t overpaying for a device that isn’t worth the price tag it has. To get the best price for your spying devices, shop around and see what you can find.
Another additional feature that some spying cameras have is Wi-Fi accessibility. This feature allows you to connect the camera to your local Wi-Fi network and access it from anywhere else. Unless you are going to be spying on your own property, then this is without a doubt a feature you’ll want.
Below are some brief reviews of the different smoke detector cameras that we’ve been researching. Using this information should be very useful when deciding which device to buy.
Our first camera comes from CAMXSW and actively records 1080p videos. Sleekly designed and easy to set up, this device is great for any new spies. Many people disregard this camera since the brand isn’t well-known although if we disregard that, the CAMXSW wireless hidden camera stands out from the crowd.
So, what features does it have? A quick inspection shows that this camera includes:
- 1080p video and 30 FPS recording
- 90-degree wide lens
- Supports SD card storage and stores recordings on loop (after the storage fills, it deletes older recordings)
- Connects with the CAMXSW smartphone app so that the camera’s feed can be seen all over the globe
- Uses a motion detector for efficient power use
You might also be able to benefit from the notification system. When you enable this feature, it’ll send you a notification whenever the motion sensor is triggered.
- Comes with a motion detector
- Users can connect the camera to a Wi-Fi network for remote access
- Has a reasonable price of $59.99
- Takes advantage of loop storage for efficient storage management
- Doesn’t have as long battery life as some other smoke detector cameras
- The camera isn’t capable of night vision
#2 – YUANHenry 1080p Motion Detection Hidden Camera
If money is tight and you want to be more conservative about your spending, this YUANHenry is a viable choice. Considering that spying devices previously cost hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, the bargain is an understatement.
The exterior design of the camera is simplistic, and nobody will even consider that it could be recording them. Main features of it are:
- Records at 30 FPS with the 1080p video quality
- It has a remote control which you can use to trigger the camera from up to 15 meters away
- Supports SD card storage (up to 32GB, but no bigger)
- Loop recording capability that overwrites old recordings after the storage device is full
- If someone is within 7 meters of the smoke detector camera, the motion detector will trigger recording
Whether or not you’re on a budget, this is a great hidden spy camera to consider.
- Cheap to buy, meaning that everyone can try it without breaking the bank
- Supports 32GB SD cards and overwrites the oldest content if the SD card reaches capacity
- High-quality 1080p recordings
- Doesn’t offer Wi-Fi accessibility
- The camera can’t record night vision videos
Also, click here to try the best hidden car camera.
QUANDU’s easy-to-install smoke detector camera is another great device for spying on whoever you want to. Alongside the sleek modern design that won’t raise any eyebrows, it comes with numerous features that are all helpful when it comes to spying.
One of the unique things about this camera that you might notice is the positioning of the camera lens. Although you may think that the lens being on the surface increases the risk of exposure, it’s very small and inconspicuous. In fact, this gives the camera a much better angle for recording.
- Users have the option to record in either 1080p or 720p, both at 30 FPS
- Rechargeable battery that records up to 4 hours of video footage
- Supports 64GB SD cards, whereas most spy cameras only support 32GB
- The motion detector prevents the camera from recording hours of useless footage
- Infrared camera lens which allows for night vision recordings
- Has a very reasonable price tag of $57.80
- While reasonable, it may be too expensive for some people
- The battery life is limited at 4 hours of recordings
By the way, if you are looking for the Best Peephole Camera for Home Security, click to have a try.
Impressive doesn’t even begin to describe the next camera on our list. With the Heymoko camera, you have access to 128GB of storage space, 1080p recording, and the sharp video quality means you’ll see only the best videos.
- Night vision recording due to the infrared lens
- Motion detectors can trigger video recording and can also send text alerts
- Can be powered either with a built-in battery or you can hard-wire it into the power mains
- Supports Wi-Fi connectivity so that users can access the camera remotely
- 1080p recording at 30 FPS and the camera lens is 110-degree
Now, this might be one of the most impressive devices on the market, but it’s very expensive. At $199.99 you might question the purchase, but we can’t doubt that it’s worthy of the price tag.
- High-quality recordings which you can view at 1080p
- You have the choice of constant recording or motion detector recording
- A custom app is available so that users can set up and use the camera with ease
- You can remotely access the camera if it connects to Wi-Fi
- Supports night vision recording and has a wide-angle lens
- Incredibly expensive in comparison to other hidden cameras
- Unique design which could be seen as suspicious
Similar to the last camera on our list, the Heymoko’s Hidden Smoke Detector Recorder, HDView’s hidden camera has a unique design. Even without the list of impressive features, this camera’s design blends the camera lens in with the design itself making it undetectable.
- Records at 1080p and with a 2.4-megapixel camera
- The motion detector supports movement recording to conserve storage space
- Discrete pinhole lens
- All videos will record at 30 FPS
- Has four different modes: TVI, AHD, 960H, and CVI
In terms of the features that it has to offer, this camera might not seem like much. That said, it gets the job done and is straightforward to use.
- Easy to set up and start using
- Discrete pinhole camera design
- Motion detector recording
- High-quality recordings every time
- Doesn’t include any additional useful features
- Lacks night vision and Wi-Fi access
#6 – Sunsome Hidden Camera Smoke Detector
Yet another great hidden camera for spying on your targets is this Sunsome model. This hidden camera has a basic design so that it can’t be mistaken. More importantly, it offers various additional features without being too expensive (it’s currently at $59.99!).
- Records videos in either 1080p or 720p, as set by the user
- Supports motion detecting recording to minimize battery usage
- A smartphone app is also available on both iOS and Android so that you can control and access this spy camera on the go
- Supports large SD card storage, as big as 64GB
This is the perfect smoke detector camera for any situation. Whether you want it for added security at your home or you want to watch over someone, it’s simply perfect.
- Different recording modes (continuous or motion detection)
- You can select the recording video quality, either 720p or 1080p
- Fitted with an internal battery that is rechargeable
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Has a lot to offer, especially with such a great price
- Unable to record videos using night vision
- 64GB of video files can fill the SD card pretty fast
Part 3. Alternative Spying Solution: KidsGuard
Another option that you might want to consider is using a monitoring tool. Let’s say your main reason for buying a smoke detector camera is to spy on your spouse. If that’s the case, then KidsGuard will give you the opportunity to spy on their smartphone activity too. Here are some of the key features that KidsGuard offers its users.
- Doesn’t require the target device to be jailbroken or rooted
- View the real-time GPS location of your target
- Set a geofence so that when they leave a certain area, you get an alert
- Access details about the calls made to and from the target device
- See all of your target’s texts and emails
- Browsing history as actively tracked
- KidsGuard – the WhatsApp Spy APK hacks Facebook password online, tracks various social media platforms (including WhatsApp, Instagram, Kik, etc.). It fixes “How to View Snapchat Stories Without Them Knowing”
- Browse the photos and videos which your target stores on their device
- Everything that KidsGuard tracks are made instantly available on the sleek KidsGuard dashboard
Not bad at all, right? Even if you do buy a hidden camera, you can use KidsGuard to fill in the blanks and see everything that your target gets up to. If you’re still on the fence then perhaps try the free KidsGuard demo and discover if it’s a solution that could help you.
To Conclude for Smoke Detector Camera
There you have it. Above are some of the widely-known and best cameras on the market. If you want to take things a step further and form an incredibly efficient spying protocol, try using a smoke detector camera with KidsGuard. When you are spying on someone with a camera, there’s one thing you can’t see clearly: their mobile phone. KidsGuard covers this for you and gathers as much data as possible for you to look at. Hopefully, you can now decide on a smoke detector for either spying or security, and use it to put your mind at ease.