If you intend to learn how to use Plex Media Server, this is the article you were looking for. At the end of this article, you will learn how to use Plex on Roku and other useful information. So, read on!
TV entertainment has become incredibly popular across the globe. Over the past decade, the concept of watching TV has revitalized with the introduction of media server software. Through these software tools, you can transform your ordinary TV into a vibrant source of entertainment. With that said, Plex is one of the most powerful, enriched and exciting media servers in the industry. Through Plex, you can convert your network area storage device or computer into an endless source of entertainment. It lets you stream contents ranging from TV shows to home videos to movies. Basically, Plex works on devices such as your Smart TV, Home Network, Laptop, Tablet, Phablet, Smartphone, etc.
As a matter of fact, whatever the devices that have the internet will be compatible with Plex. That means streaming devices, web browsers, gaming consoles, and similar devices will play Plex perfectly. So, it is absolutely possible to play Plex on Roku without any hassle. In fact, Roku is an ideal device for a media server platform like Plex to function. With this article, we will explain how to use the Plex media server on your Roku device and enjoy.
Features of Plex
Now, let’s take a quick look at the most notable features associated with Plex.
Live TV and DVR facility
You can use Plex with a compatible device and a digital antenna. By doing so, you will be able to watch and record pretty much all the contents that are locally broadcasted. After recording the content into your library, you can access them from anywhere.
With a Plex account, you can easily control the contents your family members can access. This is a really handy feature particularly when you need to protect kids from watching inappropriate content. You can apply restrictions based on the ratings or even other specific aspects. If you go for a single Plex Pass, for your home, your family members can enjoy it big time.
Premium Libraries of Music
Plex offers you a massive range of music under their premium library. Their library is enriched with plenty of music from various artists. They have music of all the genres. Also, they offer you artist bios, lyrics, etc.
Synchronization with Mobile devices
Thanks to the synchronization feature associated with Plex, you can enjoy it even when you are on the go. No matter whether you are in the park or going on your vacation trip, Plex will be with you. All you have to do is to synchronize your Plex account with the mobile device. The contents you prefer would then be loaded into the tablet or the smartphone. To play the contents that are synchronized, you don’t necessarily need an internet connection.
If necessary, you can synchronize the photos stored in your phone to the Plex Media server. More importantly, you can do it wirelessly. Through this feature, you can share your favorite apps with anyone you wish. Such an approach can also be handy to keep your phone’s storage free.
Streaming with hardware acceleration
If you have a compatible device with Plex Media Server, you will be able to stream contents using hardware acceleration. Such a feature can be really handy when you need to convert contents while you are streaming.
Besides, there are plenty of other features associated with Plex. Previewing releases, free access to other Plex apps, etc. are some of those features for your reference. Also, click to find out the best IPTV boxes and how to find Roku IP address.
Using Plex on Roku
From this point onwards, we will explain the step-by-step process of installing Plex on the Roku device.
The obvious first step to use Plex on Roku is downloading the media server. If you don’t have it downloaded yet, go to Plex’s official website and download it. Once you reach the download page on Plex, you can see various versions of it to match different devices. Plex media server will automatically organize all the media contents within the device after the installation process. For instance, if you install it on your PC or laptop, the media content on them will be organized. Plex works on Windows, Linux, Mac and even on various NAS. To start enjoying the services, you will have to create an account as well.
Depending on your requirement, you can select a free or paid plan. As we have realized, Plex’s free plan is good enough for most of the users. Even the paid plan doesn’t cost that much. That means the monthly cost of Plex’s premium plan is $4.99. For that price, you get the chance of using multiple users and even the cloud storage feature.
At the completion of the installation process, you will be able to use Plex on the Roku device. It will play all the contents on Roku and other smart devices. All you need is to go to the Plex channel application on the Roku device. After that, you should link them, and you will be able to view the contents. Well, the process is pretty simple. Let’s see how to do that.
Getting Plex Roku Channel
1. To get Plex Roku channel, you should first head towards the channel store on Roku Streaming device. Then, on Roku’s homepage, you can scroll down to find the list (towards the left-hand side).
2. You can then select the streaming channels based on your preference.
3. Then, you should scroll down and find the option called “Search Channels”. After that, you should enter the text “Plex” in your search bar (which is appearing on the right-hand side.
4. After Roku finds your Plex account in the Channel Store, you’ll be able to see it on Screen. You can then click on Plex and on your Roku remote, you should click on the option “Add Channel” on the TV.
5. You can now see that the Roku device is adding the Plex channel. At the completion of this process, you can see a notification on the screen. The notification will tell you that the Plex channel is added to your Roku device’s homepage.
6. Go to the Home screen of the Roku device. To do this, you should press the Home button on the Roku remote. This button should appear with a “House” icon or “Go to Channel”.
7. When you open Plex channel on your Roku device for the first time, do it through Plex account. That means you should sign in to your Plex account to see the channel on the device.
8. To click on Sign in option, you will have to use the Roku remote. You can see this option on the Roku TV Screen. You can then use a computer or a mobile device to visit this link.
9. A code will not be shown on the TV screen. This code should be used to verify the device. , enter this code displayed on the screen to complete this process.
10. Now, the Roku device will be linked with the Plex account. You will be able to use it without any issue.
Using Plex through a Roku device can be done at any given moment. The only requirement is that you should have a good internet connection to play the content. Once the Plex server is configured properly, or the NAS is connected, there is an endless possibility to enjoy media.
The Bottomline about Plex on Roku
If you require to stream local content that is stored in your computer, Plex is a superb option. It can also be used to play content that is on the attached network storage device. If you already have a Roku device, linking your Plex account is a pretty simple task. As a result of linking the devices together, you can easily enjoy a plethora of media through Roku. You can sit down at your comfort and play all the Plex media.
Important notice for Plex users
If you are a Plex user, you should consider the below-mentioned aspects to avoid potential dangers.
- When you use Plex, the ISP will gain direct access to what you view and stream over the internet.
- Your ISP can use your information for other purposes.
- Most of the ISPs will pass their viewers information to lawsuits to stay away from troubles. That makes your IP revealed for other parties as well.
In order to stay away from such unpleasant instances and protect your privacy, we recommend you use a VPN. With a good VPN, you will be able to keep your IP hidden from third-parties. Even your ISPs will not be able to detect it.
Well, that is all we have to describe using Plex on Roku device. We hope this article would be of some use for our readers who also use Roku. Good luck with using Plex on Roku!