There is no doubt that VLC is one of the most prominent media players today. However, the company is yet to solve an important mystery – VLC is unable to open the MRL files.
In most cases, this error occurs because VLC is unable to find the target media file within your computer system. However, there are also some lesser-known other factors.
Most people who want to know how to solve the VLC is unable to open the MRL files error. Here, let’s explain in detail why this particular problem occurs and also provide the right solutions.
Why Does the VLC is Unable to Open the MRL Files Error Occur?
There may be occasions when the VLC player is unable to read the DVDs, particularly if you are using an external device for the same. In such cases, you will see the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error.
This problem typically occurs because of your firewall, particularly if you make use of a third-party antivirus tool. In such cases, the external DVD player will be red-flagged, and the VLC player will not be able to read the disk.
To counter this error, you can try turning off the firewall program; as a result, this will remove the error from your DVD drives. Since each antivirus program differs from one another, it is recommended that you first understand what antivirus program you are using and disable the firewall accordingly.
In a rare case that this method does not work out, you may have to completely remove the antivirus program from your computer. Or, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling VLC on your computer.
How Can You Disable the Firewall of Windows Defender?
Windows Defender is the default antivirus program in Windows systems. If you see the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error, you will likely have to disable the Firewall of Windows Defender. Let us learn the steps of doing so:
1. Click on the Start option of your Windows computer system.
2. Head over to the Settings option and click on it.
3. Here, head over to Update & Security and tap on it.
4. Here, click on the Windows Security option.
5. Scroll down and tap on the Firewall and Network Protection.
6. Select any Network Profile.
7. On the next page, toggle off the Firewall to switch it off.
However, you should also remember one thing – disabling your firewall means that your computer is now vulnerable to cyber-attacks like hacking and/or malware. Hence, it is suggested that you try this method as the last-ditch option.
If You Want to Leave Your VLC Program As an Exception, Here Are the Steps to Help You Do So:
1. In the previous steps, start from Step 5.
2. Select any Network Profile.
3. Instead of disabling the firewall, you need to scroll down and tap on the ‘Allow An App Through Firewall‘ option.
4. Next, you need to tap on the Change Settings option.
5. In the list of programs you see on the next page, you need to look for the VLC program and tick on it.
6. You then have to select the type of network so that the program can access the networks.
7. Finalize the changes and save all your settings.
Even though the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error may not happen because of your firewall; it is recommended that you memorize these steps so that you can deal with any other problem related to Windows Defender.
On the other hand, it is okay if you do not want to disable the firewall for security. Let us learn how you can do so.
Claim the Ownership of the File
If there is a file that is unable to open on your VLC player, you can claim its ownership. Doing so will ensure your system that the particular file is not a threat, and you will not see the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error.
Let us learn how you can do so:
1. Look and right-click on the file you want to claim ownership of.
2. On the drop-down menu, you need to select Properties.
3. On the next windows, you will see the Properties; here, you need to tap on the Security.
4. Here, click on the Advanced button; this will open a new menu.
5. On the top of the windows, you will find the ‘Change‘ button; click on it.
6. On the third text box, you need to type in Administrator and click on OK.
7. Tick on the Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object option and click on Apply.
8. Once done, you can try reopening the media file.
And now, you will be able to play any media file without having to switch off your firewall.
Solving the VLC is Unable to Open the MRL File Error on macOS
Windows users are not the only people that face this VLC is unable to open the MRL file error. This same problem occurs in macOS as well. However, the reason behind the problem again can be an overzealous firewall.
In such cases, you can try to disable the firewall of your Mac system or even remove the antivirus program from your system.
Let us learn how you can disable the firewall on your Mac.
1. Tap on the Apple icon on the taskbar.
2. On the menu, you will find System Preferences; click on it.
3. Next, you need to hover the mouse on ‘View‘ and then tap on ‘Security & Privacy‘.
4. You need to tap on the Firewall tab.
5. Look for the option ‘Turn Off Firewall‘ and click on it.
6. Once done, the macOS will notify you that the firewall is now switched off.
7. Tap on the Save button and try to reopen the media file again.
Alternatively, you can also configure your firewall to add VLC as an exception.
Other Ways to Solve VLC is Unable to Open the MRL File Error
As mentioned previously, you may be seeing that the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error because of the media files that are saved in your system. Now, there are many reasons why it can take place. Let us look into how you can deal with these problems:
Claim the File’s Ownership
As we have talked about earlier, one of the most effective ways to deal with the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error is by claiming the ownership of the file. All you need to do here is follow the steps mentioned above.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling the VLC Program
In most cases, people tend to forget to update their VLC programs and keep using the outdated version. At times, the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error can take place if you are using the older version of the VLC player. As such, you will have to uninstall the older version and reinstall an updated one.
1. On your Windows system, head over to the Settings option.
2. On the next window, look for and click on the Apps option.
3. Keep looking for VLC Media Player and tap on it.
4. Simply by following the rest of the on-screen instructions, you will uninstall VLC from your computer.
5. Next, you need to head over to the official VLC website.
6. Here, find the latest version of the program and download it.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program on your computer.
8. Start the VLC player and try running the file once again.
Disabling the Firewalls
As mentioned previously, it is possible that your antivirus program is not allowing you to open the media file on the VLC player. After you have managed to disable the firewall, you should be able to eliminate this VLC that is unable to open the MRL file error. All the steps on how to do so are mentioned in the previous sections for both Windows and Mac OSs.
Removing the VLC is Unable to Open the MRL File Error on YouTube
There are a handful of people that make use of VLC players to view YouTube videos. However, Google does everything in its power to prevent this problem. Therefore, it is not easy to do so. Thankfully, the developers of VLC have come up with a few viable solutions that can help you prevent the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error.
You will have to download a .lua file if you want to watch YouTube videos on the VLC player. In most cases, you can solve the problem simply by renaming the format. Let us learn how you can do so:
1. The first step here is to download the .lua file.
2. Rename the downloaded file – for example, youtube.luac and copy the file.
3. Head over to the lua folder, which is the directory where VLC is installed.
4. Within the lua folder, you need to open the ‘Playlist‘.
5. Drag or paste the original file into this playlist folder.
6. Start the VLC media player.
As you can see, the VLC is unable to open the MRL file error is quite common; you do not have to worry about anything. With the help of these tips, you should be able to counter this file error with minimum hassles.