Generally, whichever video you upload on YouTube is visible to all and can be watched by anyone in the world. But what if you don’t want it to be available for being viewed by everyone? YouTube provides you the option to fulfill this need also. Actually, there are two such options: private video and unlisted video. But both of the options are different from each other and used for different purposes.
So what does unlisted mean on YouTube? In this article, I am going to put a light on this topic so as to make you have a clear understanding of ‘YouTube unlisted meaning‘ and how the unlisted YouTube videos differ from the private and public YouTube videos.
But, in order to understand how the unlisted YouTube videos differ from the private and public videos, it will be better for you first to understand the private and public YouTube videos and then go through the YouTube unlisted meaning. Keeping this logic in mind, below, I have used the same sequence.
What Is A Private YouTube Video?
The YouTube videos that can be viewed only by the users who upload them and the Google accounts, which the uploaders mention, are called private YouTube videos. Such videos offer the following important features and application:
- The private videos don’t appear in the YouTube search results.
- YouTube doesn’t show these videos in suggestions/recommendations also.
- These videos don’t even appear in the video tab.
- No notification will be sent to the subscribers of a channel if a video is uploaded on the channel with the ‘private‘ video option.
- The person whom you share your private video can view it. But if that person further shares that video with his friends, they cannot view it. It simply means that only the uploader can grant permission to a person for watching a private video.
- By using this option of ‘private‘ videos on YouTube, confidentiality can be easily maintained for the internal information of a company.
- By privately uploading a video on YouTube, you can save a lot of storage space on your mobile phone.
- This option also helps in privately sharing family videos with the desired people.
Besides, if you have an issue of ‘YouTube Not Working on Android‘, here is the best solution for you.
What Is A Public YouTube Video?
By default, all videos that you upload on YouTube are uploaded as public videos if you don’t change the default setting. These videos with the public setting are visible to everyone, and anyone can watch these videos.
- The public videos appear in the YouTube search results.
- Such videos are also shown in the suggestions/recommendations by YouTube.
- These videos appear in the video tab, as well.
- The subscribers also get a notification whenever a new public video is uploaded to the channel they have subscribed to.
- You can use public videos in order to boost your brand awareness.
- If you have a business of sharing videos on product reviews, commercial videos, etc., you can use the public video setting on YouTube and share your videos publically.
- Public YouTube videos are also used for increasing subscribers on the YouTube channel.
- If you intend to earn money on YouTube, even then, you can make use of the public setting so that your videos can get more and more views.
Things To Remember While Posting A Video With The Public Setting On YouTube
As you have, now, a clear understanding that each and every video that you post on YouTube with a public setting will be visible to everyone, hence, you will have to keep in mind that the video you are going to upload with this setting is not having any objectionable content. That’s because:
- Your friends can laugh at you after watching the video if it contains ridiculous content about you.
- Even your seniors can watch the video.
- The video can go viral and cause a big loss of reputation if it has that kind of content.
What Is Unlisted YouTube Video?
When it comes to the YouTube unlisted meaning, I would simply say that these are the types of YouTube videos that are shown neither on your channel nor in the search results. Now the question is who these videos are for and who can watch them.
Actually, such a video can be watched through a link, and those who have that particular link can access and watch the video. Such videos have the following features and applications:
- The option for unlisted video can be found between the option for ‘private‘ and ‘public‘ video while uploading a video on YouTube.
- An unlisted video can be viewed through a link and you can share this link with anyone.
- You don’t even need to have a YouTube account to watch such a video. All you need is the concerned link to watch it.
- Unlisted videos neither appear in the search results nor in the suggestions.
- No notifications are sent to the subscribers of a channel regarding the unlisted video on the channel.
- These videos don’t even appear in the video tab.
- Using the concerned link, unlisted video can be shared with anyone. And, the users having that link can easily watch the video.
- If the user having the link further shares it with his friends, they can also view the unlisted video through that shared link.
- You can make use of the unlisted YouTube videos, in case you want to conduct a webinar and there is a need for sharing the webinar video only with the registered users.
- There are times when you need to get feedback from a closed group with the purpose of market research. In such cases also, the unlisted video can be used.
- You can make use of the unlisted videos also for the purpose of sharing an online link of resume for a job application.
How To Upload Unlisted Videos On YouTube?
If you are in need of uploading a video on YouTube with unlisted video setting, you can follow the simple steps given below:
- The very first step in the process of uploading an unlisted YouTube video is to get logged into your YouTube account or channel.
- Once you are in your YouTube account, you will see a video button available at the upper right corner of the homepage.
- Click on the video button, and as you click on it, it will drop down a menu in which you will find an option “upload Video.”
- Then click on the “Upload Video” button.
- Once you click on the “Upload Video” button, it will take you to another page where you will find an option for uploading your video.
- On that page, you have to click on the “Public” option provided below the “Select files to upload“. Once you click on it, it will drop down a menu in which you will also see the option “Unlisted”.
- Select the “Unlisted” option from the menu and then proceed with the process of uploading your video using the “Select files to upload” option. Thus the file that you uploaded will be uploaded as an unlisted video. That’s it.
How To Make A Previously Uploaded Video Unlisted On YouTube?
In your YouTube account, it is very easy to make any of your uploaded video an unlisted video. All you need to do is just follow the simple steps given below:
- First, you need to sign in to the account you have on YouTube.
- Go to “My Videos“.
- Choose the video that you intend to convert into an unlisted YouTube video and then click on the “Edit” button.
- Once you click on the edit button, it will open up the settings of the selected video.
- On the video setting page, you will also see the privacy section showing the privacy options for the selected video. There you will see the options for marking the selected video as a “private,” “public,” or “unlisted” video.
- Select the “unlisted” option.
- Finally, save the change you have made by clicking on the “Save Changes“. And, that’s it.
Remember that YouTube treats the unlisted videos in a similar way as it treats public videos. There are the same rules and regulations for the control of copyright infringement. In unlisted videos also, you cannot use the copyrighted content for which you don’t have permission.
Final Words on What Does Unlisted Mean On YouTube
I hope, by now, you have clearly understood the YouTube unlisted meaning. And, now you also have a better understanding of the difference between the public YouTube video, private YouTube video, and the unlisted YouTube video.
Now that there remains no confusion about all these types of YouTube videos, why not make the most out of these options or settings while uploading videos on a YouTube channel.