WSUS or better known as Windows server update services, manage all the updates and patches for the Windows server. Which makes WSUS server one of the most essential used software in the Windows server system. Before the use of the WSUS server, there was SUS or as it is known as software update services. But Windows server update services managed to be far more efficient than SUS. In this article, you will figure out why we need the WSUS server, what are the WSUS server functions & everything about the WSUS firewall ports.
WSUS provided constant updates on the operating systems without any delay of any kind. It helps out various organizations with their services, most especially in IT companies, where information is one valuable than anything. WSUS provides the best update services to keep all the computers in the network up to date with the latest developments. WSUS also distributes the updates throughout the systems that are connected to a network.
Why need WSUS services?
Windows server update services developed by Microsoft to provide a better running service in the computers connected to a network. Compared to its predecessor software update services, the WSUS server checks the required updates faster for all of the systems connected to a network. WSUS successfully reads the requirements of the system and the version of the updates that are best suitable to run on the system. Then downloads all the much need software updates.
In a corporate field, where more than one computer connected to the server or host computer. Keeping up with the updates rather becomes essential than ever. If the system doesn’t have the latest update then it might miss out on new growing information available on the internet. One of the reasons why Windows software update services are so popular among its users is it supports a wide range of Microsoft products. The functions of this software balance out between the normal Microsoft operating system and more advanced versions of the system seen at the bigger organizations.
Functions of WSUS server
While the Windows server update services carry a lot of functions on its back but some of the important fiction it provides the users are
Manages the bandwidth speed and the data left in it. WSUS server provides a better tracker for resources that get used in the connection. Proper management of data helps to make all the resources a more secure and faster experience.
Manually doing everything on a computer can be a tiresome thing to on a daily basis. Updating is the task that will have to perform every single day. These updates not only add a brand new number on your current version but they will make the current function even stronger. Wusu server provides automatic software updates for every Microsoft product. You don’t have to download the entire catalog of software all at once. You will choose the one you need the most and the less used ones.
If you have a group of systems, one of them didn’t download the updates but all the others did. With the WSUS server, you don’t have to download the entire software package all over again. With WSUS, you would have the function to choose the system that needs the latest version, target the download, and the system makes WSUS a better option for updating.
Information is essential in any field, but in industries such as in IT or digital marketing, it takes the center stage. Where every bit of information can flip the whole organization in a second. WSUS make sure you receive better reports in a Knick of time. So, you can be up-to-date with the events that are happening around the world. Compared to SUS, WSUS provides a much better quality of service that will make your workload run on a proper order.
The reason why you see so many people around the world using the WSUS server for this system. It is because of the sheer language it supports in its system. Language may not be a concerning factor for some companies or individuals. But for others, this can be one of the most important things that they expect for software to have. WSUS server provides services that mean a lot to people from different walks of life.
To enable Windows software update services, your configuration has to meet the minimum standard to continue the service.
- Processor: 1.4 gigahertz (GHz) x64 processor ( anything above 2 GHz will make it a lot faster)
- Memory: WSUS requires two gigs of RAM to function the system without any shuttering. Adding more will certainly be good, but the effect in the performance may not be noticeable.
- Available disk space: 10 GB but you should have over 40 gigs for an advanced installation
- Network adapter: you don’t have to get a top-shelf product for minimal activity. Make sure your network adapter supports 100 Mb per/sec.
Some of the software you will need is Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 to view reports of WSUS service. You can view any kind of report if you have an older version of the Windows server, but if you have Windows server 2016, then you will need to upgrade the report viewer redistributable to the year of 2012. Otherwise, having an older version might not support newer devices.
WSUS Firewall Ports and Rules
Before you start making WSUS firewall ports and rules for this server, make sure all of the updates are connected to the right server. In this case, it would be the Microsoft server. The connection has to be set to the Microsoft server to receive any updates. If there is a firewall between the Windows server and the Windows server. That firewall might interfere with the update system of WSUS. So, if you have another firewall. Then configure that firewall for the smooth running of the WSUS server.
To start receiving updates, you need to be connected with the WSUS firewall ports 443 to follow the HTTP protocol. After this stage, you must allow a connection to the following list of URLs.
Installing WSUS on Windows server
Follow these steps for the effective installation of WSUS on your system without any issue.
- First, you must log in to the Windows server with your local member account. That account should have administration
- privileges for the full access to every section of the system.
- Then you have to go to the server manager and click Manage.
- Click on Roles and Features. Here you will be able to add new features in them. Click on Next.
- On this page, you will be granted with the server.
- Selection page. Here all you have to us verify the server name; that is it.
- On the server role page, you must select Windows Server Update Services. You will also have the function to ‘add features‘ and then hit Next
- Then you will be seeing the select feature page, don’t mess anything here, leave everything to default and then hit Next.
- On WSUS database type, select WID Connectivity and WSUS Services, click on Next.
- Now you will be on the content location page, here you have to decide where you want to store the data of the updates. It is recommended to store all the updates on the other drive, excluding C drive. Depending on One of the current updates of the system, the size of the download can take to a massive size. Once you have decided where you do, you want to store all the data, then click Next.
- Then you will be in the Web Server Role(IIS) page, just click Next.
- In the confirmation page, you will see all the settings that you have chosen; this will be more of a review section of the installation. Check the ones you want to keep or uncheck if you think the function might lead to creating some new issues later on. After you did everything, then all you have to do is just Install the WSUS server.
- When the installation of the WSUS server is complete, then click on Launch Post-Installation tasks.
- Then you will receive a message saying ‘Configuration successfully completed.’ Once you see that dialogue box, just Close.
- After installation of the WSUS server comes to the configuration of the software as this will be a one-time configuration.
- You can open the WSUS config wizard by opening WSUS Console > Options > WSUS Server Config wizard. Make sure the firewall allows access for all the clients connecting to the WSUS server. Ensure the firewall permits the WSUS server to connect to updates from Microsoft. Once everything ready to go, click on Next.
- Upon clicking Next, you will get to choose the WSUS upstream server. Where you will have two options –
- Synchronize from Microsoft Update – Download updates from Microsoft updates.
- Synchronize from another Windows Server Update Services server – Download updates from a pre-existing WSUS server. If you already have an existing WSUS server, you have to specify the name of the server and port number. Click Next.
- Proxy server – Here, you will have to set up your proxy information like the name of the server and the port number. Another credential might be needed to connect to the proxy server.
- Click on ‘Allow basic authentication,’ click Next.
- Connect to the Upstream server page – Here, you will click on the ‘Start Connecting‘ button to start the connection.
- Choose Languages- Basically, you have to select the language that suits you the best. Here you can choose your language and click Next if you want to receive updates for your language from the WSUS server. You will also have the option to Download updates in all languages, including new languages.
- Choose Products – Here, you will select the product you have on your system. Each of the operating system lists in the category will be different from one to another. Make sure you click on the one that you have installed on your system. Then click on Next.
- Choose Classifications – In here, you are going to get a list of updates for your product. From Critical Updates to service packs, this list will have them all in one place. Select the one that you want the most in your computer. Click on Next.
- Configure WSUS synchronization schedule –
- Synchronize manually – you will manually perform the sync every time.
- Synchronize automatically – The server will handle everything on its own. You allowed setting the number per day. Then the server will perform synchronization every single day with the number of times that you have assigned. Click Next.
- Click on begin initial synchronization and hit Next. Then Finish the configuration.
- Updates in WSUS Follow the steps below to approve or discard updates on WSUS.
- Launch WSUS Administration Console > Updates > All updates.
- Choose the updates in all updates section.
- Right-click on the selected updates, and then click Approve.
- Select your test group and then click on down arrow, click ‘Approved for install‘ and press OK.
- The progress bar will let you know the update approval process. Once it reaches all the way to the end, hit Close.
- You also have the option to auto-approve the rules in WSUS. WSUS administration console > Options > Automatic Approvals > New Rule. Here you will select your test computer group, make a name for the rule, and click on OK.
- Once you are done with that, you can run the rule.
Conclusion on the WSUS Server
The installation of the WSUS server can be very intimating for any beginner to professional. The variety of steps can leave anyone confused. But on the other side, you will have a full control on the updates and patches for your system. WSUS server features compatibility with most Microsoft products. Newer updates will fix the problems of the old version and improve the performance by a large margin. As the updates for every bit of software in the market have been getting more frequent than ever. This constant act of updating can be very annoying; let the WSUS server handle every bit of the daily task by just a one-time configuration.